Sunday, December 5, 2010

Keep Pushing Forward

This week life drawing was very overwhelming.  The end of the semester is approaching very quickly and we have a lot left to finish. Building 50 muscles on the manikin in the next week, while I know will be rewarding, also strikes me with anxiety.

In class we discussed, observed, and drew the shoulder girdle.  It was surprising to me how complex such a small area of the body can be. I found the collar bone to be particularly intriguing and challenging with its spiraling shape. It the sketches and doodles that I do for my own enjoyment everyday, I work with a lot of organic spiraling forms.

Recently in class, I have found myself drawing differently, more freely.  I believe this is because I have finally been doing a lot more artwork and sketching for my own enjoyment.  It has helped me to loosen up in my drawing and understand the best way to move the pencil across the page. My drawings seem to be improving.  They are no where near perfect, and I am certainly not satisfied with them, but, I believe that if we become satisfied with our work we stop growing and improving.  I will continue to strive to become better.

Also this week, we did our third shell drawings.  When doing the cross-contour drawing this time, I could tell that I was getting better at accurately following the lines of the shape. I was surprised by how well it turned out.  Then when I started adding the ink, I got worried, because I thought I was ruining it.  I ended up being relatively happy with the end result though.  I started out with just using the sepia ink that I had. Then, I wasn't thrilled about how it looked, so I decided to add some blue ink into the shadows and it looks so much better! I just needed some contrast to accentuate the shadows and highlights of the form.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, your shell is coloring's muteness is something i Enjoy. I would suggest pushing the depth in it to turn it from really good to Great. I love love the grey coloring. I cannot wait to see the end result tommorrow. Also, I enjoyed reading about the fascination you have with the shoulder girdle. I found myself studying the collarbone as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy the subtlety of the ink in your shell. It's very reminiscent of the ocean and water, which is a good compliment to the shell. Nice work, I do think it is an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember this one! I love this shell! The tans and light blues create a very calming effect. It feels cool and almost soft to the touch. The lack of stark contrast was definitely the way to go with this one. The fact that I can see the brush strokes in the background is great, too. They work in to the soothing atmosphere perfectly.

    ReplyDelete