Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Developments in Life and Art

I need to get some more posts up because I have missed some. I still want them to have meaning, substance, and relevance.

In recent times I have begun taking creative journaling more seriously.  While this does not directly relate to life drawing, it most certainly relates to my life and my drawing. Learning to not be afraid of making mistakes and expressing myself without restraint are both things that my journal has helped me with immensely.


This drawing or doodle looks like it could have come from a human, or some type of life. The interconnectedness of the objects is similar to that of the body's muscles and cells.


While this image is extremely anatomically incorrect, I still used some of my life drawing knowledge to construct it. Check out those collar bones! (Yes, I know they shouldn't be straight; they curve around to the back. Let's pretend that they do in this drawing.) There is also no nose. I am not entirely sure why I decided not to include the nose, but, it is completely irrelevant to this blog.

Whenever life starts to feel out of control, drawing can give me back that control. Also, referring back to the end of my last post where I mentioned the importance of truth, art is an important vehicle for displaying truth.  Drawing can express things that there is no other way to express. When thinking about this, I think about how in a drawing of the figure, it is possible to capture the movement of a pose in a way that no photograph or written explanation could.  Through a drawing of a figure, the viewer has the ability to feel the pose that the model was in; feel the tension or relaxation of the muscles.

C.S. Lewis wrote children's books because he believed that it was the only way to present the material that he wanted to present. I draw (or use clay) because I believe that it is the best and only way to portray what I want to portray; the truth.

3 comments:

  1. Creative journaling is something that Ive been meaning to get into, however, I can never force myself to cough up the $7.00 for a lil book. Instead, I try to carry my sketch book around with me where ever I go. I feel less fear when it just a large format cheaper sketch book than if I were to start marking on an expensive moleskin book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have meant to get into a bit of creative journaling via blogs. I think it's a great way to keep track of inspirations, your personal sketches, and thoughts/ideas. I've made a vow to do one over winter break (yeaaa we'll see how that goes). I need to not be afraid of making mistakes in my sketchbook...but I'm kind of a neat freak about it.
    GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that creative journaling is a great thing to spend time on. I kind of think of blogging as creative journaling, I have another blog that I use just for writing. It is a nice place to vent/talk about whatever I am thinking about

    ReplyDelete