Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snooooooowwwwwwww and finals.

Quite honestly I completely forgot about the blog this week. The snow was more distracting than a person would think. It took me 45 minutes and 3 people to get my car out of the unplowed parking lot. The campus looks so much different than it did a week ago!

Last week in life drawing we got to do my favorite activity of the whole semester! We drew the skull! I have always been much better at drawing bones than actual human flesh. I found it interesting to pay attention to how complicated the skull is.  Even though the skull does not have many parts (in an adult), it is extremely complex.

We drew each other's hands on Tuesday which was a different experience. I must admit that I find people studying and staring at me, even if it is just my hand, unsettling.  It also gave me a taste of what the model feels having to remain still for a period of time.  By the end of the half hour that I was posing my hand, my hand was begging to move.  I don't know how the models do it! I had some difficulty drawing the hand as well but near the end of the class period got a better idea of how to approach it.

 It was also nice to get a chance to interact with classmates and discuss how our semesters are going.  Some very interesting topics came up.  A few of them were relative to the art world, about our favorite media to work in and why, and some of them were not so related. I have been known to bring up awkward subjects when I get uncomfortable.  Two people staring at, studying, and drawing my hand made me uncomfortable.  Discussion about diarrhea among other awkward subjects sprang up. I have come to a place in my life however, where I feel that no conversation is too awkward if it contains truth. Truth is the most important thing in this world. If all of this was fake, what would be the point?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I really enjoyed drawing the skull also. I do to bring unusual topics when I get a little nervous, so don't alone in that. Anyways, the snow last weekend was crazy, the most snow we've got in like 10 years.

    Well you have a great break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow that we received did become distracting, I just wanted to curl up with my blanket and drink some hot cocoa. i also found it unnerving to become the model, even if it was just the hand. The skull was very fun to draw, and for some reason I agree bones do tend to be easier to draw then the flesh.

    ReplyDelete