Sunday, November 28, 2010

The holiday season has begun...

Unfortunately I was unable to go on the field trip because I had to work in Eau Claire at 3 and was uncomfortable with the idea of driving for over 3 hours on rather icy roads. I'm disappointed, but, hopefully I can make up for it somehow. 
While working at a portrait studio has almost nothing to do with life drawing, I have gotten the chance to observe the way that people of different ages move differently. Taking a picture of a baby under 3 months has a significantly different procedure and strategy than a teenager. Having learned about adult proportions, it is very interesting trying to get the framing right on a baby.  The proportions are so different! 
Also this week I have been working on the third shell drawing. I'm excessively scared to start using the ink on it, so, I haven't gotten that far yet. 
My newest internet addiction is the Behance Network. It is an artist website that allows you to make a profile out of your portfolio, post your work, and look at work from other artists.  Through this website I have found several interesting things relating to life drawing. The first interesting find was this:
I chose to include this drawing in my blog because the line quality stuck out to me.  It's not necessarily the best type of line in my opinion, but, it is very different than the way that I create lines. These lines are quickly drawn and ragged. My favorite part of this drawing is the shadow under the chin. While these lines up close, don't read as a shadow, farther away, it is very effective. 

These drawings have a very different lined qualities than the last drawing I discussed. These lines are smooth, slowly done for the most part, and precise. My line quality is certainly not anywhere near this good, but, this gives me something to strive towards. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like this drawing. I think the style you used is both interesting and effective. One thing I like about it is that while you have some nice curvaceous lines on the hip and chest regions you also use some hard, straight lines on the face. I also like how it looks good but looks like it was done really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like that drawing you found also... i originally thought that you stuck glasses on our model... the line quality, composition, and form are all great in that image...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also like how there is not such a defined outline in the image (her underarm)

    ReplyDelete