Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dead-line

While looking at various artists' websites today, I came upon this illustration by Bruna Gonzalez.  It seemed fitting because so many deadlines are coming up for projects, papers, and tests.  This past week especially, I have found myself feeling rather like a dead line.

Life drawing class was cancelled this week on Tuesday.  On thursday in class, we experimented with using ink.  We started out by drawing a small contour drawing of our shell. Then we discussed what the goals of the shell drawings are and how the ink would be used. Applying the ink was almost scary to me. Ink doesn't erase!  That for me is intimidating. It's difficult to experiment and discover if you are afraid of making mistakes, so, I was glad that we practiced on a small drawing that we didn't spend much time on. I was still nervous about it and I think it shows in my drawing. I will definitely be practicing more before I do the bigger version so that I am more comfortable taking risks with the ink. I think that after I understand more about how the ink works, I will really enjoy working with it. I love the way that it shows movement and how it can be used to enhance an organic shape.  This is what I came up with in class:



Also this week, I worked more on my manikin. I redid the abs and the  maximus/minimus.  I think that I am starting to get a little bit more used to the way that the clay works. I still need to redo the thigh muscles and the spinal erectors, but, I think it is starting to look a lot better.  It is still very frustrating trying to get the muscles to look right together when its difficult to visualize, but, I'm getting better at it.


4 comments:

  1. I think your manikin is coming along very nicely. I especially think the leg muscles and back are done really well. I also agree that it can be frustrating to get the muscles to look right together and like the book images. You seem to getting a hang of it, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed how your shell drawing turned out! I'm looking forward to seeing the next one in class. Have you thought about using some colored inks? or letting them run a little more to create more fluid movement? thoughts to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start on the ink/shell drawing. It looks like the final one will be a piece of cake for you. I would love to see some fun colors thrown in there with the black. And i'm right with you with the Manniken work, super frustrating, especially with the 50 muscles due. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stated a fact in your blog that struck home with me because I don't know how many times I've thought it when drawing my first two shells...INK DOESN'T ERASE and for me who erases at least 4 line for every one I leave on the paper that scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete