Monday, November 1, 2010

Midterm Reflection

It's hard to believe that over half of the semester is over already! I have learned a lot so far and am surprised by the progress that I have made.  Life drawing has certainly challenged me in ways that I've never been challenged before. One of the hardest things for me to get used to was drawing quickly and focusing on the general form instead of details.  In all of my previous art work I have focused more on small details rather than getting the gesture down.  At the beginning of the semester I struggled to even make a decision about where to make my first line in 30 seconds, but now I can get down most of the figure in 30 seconds.  One of my unexpected, ongoing struggles is with the maniken. When I started working on it, I thought that I would be great at it because I love working in three dimensions and working with details.  It seems that the more I work on it, the more frustrating it gets and the more difficult it is for me to create the muscles accurately.  My favorite part of this semester so far was working on the shell drawing for homework. While I found the process frustrating, I enjoyed looking at the shell and taking in all of the details.  I think that in trying to capture the form of the shell using only line really helped me to understand how to capture the figure only using line.  

In the second half of the semester, I am hoping to continue to improve my figure drawing skills. Things that I really need to work on include better understanding how foreshortening affects the way that the figure looks and also continue to learn how to focus more on the form as a whole instead of detail and shadowing.  

Here is a link to my Flickr page: Midterm Portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment